It's just one month until Christmas Eve, (and one week before Thanksgiving) and I've been doing a lot of thinking, writing and talking about what makes the holidays wonderful. It has been great to hear from people in my community about the traditions that make this time of year special. I know from personal experience, however, that some traditions do not last forever because of life transitions that occur.
Will this holiday be different for you? Have you recently suffered a relationship breakdown? Has your family been hit by an illness or death of someone close? Have your children decided to go on a ski vacation instead of staying at home?
Whatever the change, you are certain to be feeling some sense of loss. Please know you are not alone. As with any life transition, it's your time for a fresh start. Perhaps, if you are really honest about it there were things about the last holiday season you really didn't enjoy. There have probably been elements of holidays passed that nearly drove you around the bend. You likely felt frustrated, at times, neglected or used. With this fresh start—no matter the reason that it came about—you now have the opportunity to create a holiday season that is reflective of your values and serves to bring you peace and joy every day. True, you may have to do it alone or in a different place, but moving forward to create a life that excites you is the gift you have been given, and it is not one to be squandered. Life is too short, my friends.
So, dry your tears, leave the pity party, and muster up all your courage to embark on the next phase of your journey.
Here are the 7 Steps to Create a Holiday that Excites You:
1. Get Present. Stop thinking about how it used to be or how you wish it was and focus on this moment where everything is beautiful because you are alive and you have all your power.
2. Get Real. Face the facts of what has happened during this life transition. It usually isn't as bad as your ego is making it seem. And even if it is awful, heart-breaking, and worthy of a baseball bat to your bed, it is what it is; and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be living in possibility!
3. Get Over It. Let go of the blame and judgment surrounding your life transition and accept the challenge to step into your power and create an amazing life! Let go of the guilt that keeps you stuck and unfulfilled. You are capable and deserving of happiness.
4. Get Clear. Stretch your idea of what is possible for you. Imagine living the life of your dreams—starting with this holiday season. What do you really want it to look like? What do you want to experience, where and with whom? How will it feel to finally live the life you've always desired?
5. Get Engaged. Make a commitment to enjoy this process of empowered recreation. Remind yourself daily that this transition is part of life and you accept it because it gives you the blessing of personal growth that is priceless.
6. Get Serious. Make plans. Step outside your comfort zone. Do things differently this year and experience the rewards that come from honouring your commitment. Feel your confidence grow. Be proud of yourself. You've come a long way, baby.
7. Get Support. Talk with people who have been through similar transitions and moved through them with grace and confidence to create a new life that excites them. Find a coach to help you, an on-line support group, or a trusted friend. Above all, align yourself with people who are supportive of your new vision.
I'd love to accompany you on this journey of re-creation. I am embarking on another phase myself, being in the midst of several simultaneous life transitions. It's a fact of life and although life is magnificent, it brings challenges to everyone—no one is immune. If you are ready to step into your power and move through this life transition with grace and confidence so you, too, can create a life that excites you, please drop me a line. I'd like to cheer you on and provide the kind of support you need.
Thank you for being in my community of support. Knowing you are there gives me a sense of purpose and the motivation to continue living my dream.
PS: If you are looking for a little inspiration, order your signed copy of "Freeing Godiva: A Woman's Journey of Self-Empowerment" with stories of people who have stepped into their power to create a new life and now share their effective coping strategies around the world with their clients.
PPS: Remember that I am here to serve you and, as your life transitions coach, I have three wonderful programs designed to keep you moving forward. Remember, it's your time for a fresh start. Email me today!
For More Relationship Advice From YourTango: