The importance of adding "learn marriage tools" to your wedding planning checklist.
Planning for a wedding can be a really exciting time. However, caught up in the wave of enthusiasm, many people don't include marriage preparation on their checklists. It's easy to understand why, after all, most couples are still in the honeymoon phase of the relationship where it seems that nothing could ever go wrong, right?
If there's one thing I've learned about marriages (from my own and from observing countless couples who have come to see me for help pulling their relationships back together), it's that healthy marriages require hard work in time, attention and nurturing to continue to flourish. A marriage is like a garden that needs tending to survive. Good couple's communication and high levels of emotional safety in a relationship can increase the chances of having a strong, connected marriage that can better withstand inevitable curve balls.
Do you and your partner have the necessary tools to keep your marriage strong?
- How are your communication skills? Do you listen, validate and empathize with each other?
- How “emotionally safe” do you feel together? Can you turn towards each other for security and safety?
- How is your relationship balance? Is there adequate attention paid to the “you,” “me” and “we” of your relationship?
- Do you have old childhood and family of origin wounds that come up and interfere with your relationship?
- Have you considered your individual, marriage and family goals? Are they in alignment?
More Juicy Content From YourTango: