What if we all had good health, successful relationships and an absence of crime?
More from YourTango: Allowing Your Past To Define You? Why You Must Move On Now
Would that make us happy? Possibly, but happiness is an inside job. It takes introspection and focus on who you truly are without concern for what others think and say about you.
We are great at blaming our unhappiness on someone or something else.
What if we simply adjust our definition of happy and take responsibility for finding it inside of us?
What if we allow ourselves to be happy even before we get the right promotion or man or make the right amount of money or buy the right vehicle or home?
What if we make a decision each day that our definition of happy is being able to list five things we are grateful for?
- People who care about us (they don't have to be our perfect mate)
- A beautiful sunset (we can enjoy it all by ourselves)
- The opportunity to improve our physical health (we don't have to be our ideal weight)
- Peace of mind in knowing we did our best at work and our intentions were positive (it doesn't have to be our ideal job or the best we've ever done)
- The ability to pay for our life (even if there isn't much left over to play with)
Gratitude diminishes fear, expands our heart and destroys arrogance, which is born of low self esteem and keeps us stuck in a happiness-seeking rut, overlooking where it actually resides - inside.
Take a good look at what you think you need to obtain before you experience ongoing happiness. Is your definition of happiness making you unhappy?
More from YourTango: No Man-Bashing Allowed: Your New Gal Pal Valentine's Day Plan
To further explore new perspectives on daily challenges, grab your weekly Positive Woman Tip plus free eBook and audio book at Positive Women Rock right now. Check out Life Coaching while you're there. It's a fun, quick way to create a life you love.