- Learning Different (diagnosed or not)
- Gifted in a particular area (academic or not)
- An entrepreneurial spirit
- In recovery from substance abuse
- actively abusing drugs or alcohol
- Socially motivated or socially isolated
These are just a few things to consider. In my community there are many options available through the school district for kids who need a change to their program. These include different career pathway options, independent study and concurrent enrollment at the junior college. There are also a variety of homeschooling options that don't require parents to be the teacher.
Additional support, in the form of educational information and facilitated family counseling sessions is often helpful and I have enjoyed helping families find what works best for their teen and for them.