3 reasons why it's best to relinquish control.
I am a control freak! Okay, there, I said it. To be honest with you, I stopped trying to be a perfectionist a long time ago, but I still have not been able to shake the need to control my environment. I am getting better. Really, I am. But the reality of it is that I still have a hard time letting things unfold naturally. I try to push things forward before they are ready to blossom all by themselves. Yes, this is one of my biggest flaws. And yet, one of my biggest assets. Life Coach: Can A Woman Be Both Powerful And Feminine?
I know that may not make sense to some of you, but for me, it is a true blessing. The fact that I am aware that I try to control things means I am ready to shift my behavior. I want to let go. I need to let go. I have a feeling that I will be working on this life lesson for the rest of my life, but I am accepting of that. It keeps me humble and somehow grounded. Below are 3 things I have learned and what I am consciously working on every day.
1) The need for control comes from fear. Fear is that unpleasant emotion that is caused by a learned belief — one that you usually borrowed from someone else or essentially made up in your own head. If I am completely transparent, my fear of the unknown sets me off in control mode. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind change, but I am much more comfortable when I know exactly what is going to happen. If I can't see, predict or rationalize the outcome, I try to control it.
Do you know how much energy is wasted trying to control something that you can't possibly have control over? It's exhausting. So now when I catch myself in control mode, I always ask myself this question: "What fear is rearing its ugly head this time?" Just being aware of this fear lessons its power and hold over me. 3 Tips To Gain A Sense Of Control
2) You're trying to achieve a specific outcome. Yes, we all want things to work out in a certain way, but think about how boring life would be if everything always turned out the way we thought it was "supposed to." I am always working on consciously trusting in the Universe. Building that faith muscle. Strengthening, nourishing it.
When I have faith, I can let go. And that opens up all sorts of amazing, wonderful possibilities. Actually, what I thought should happen and what actually happens is usually way more exciting than if I continued to control and limit myself.
3) Surrender. Controlling my life uses a lot of my energy. It leaves me scattered, less effective and physically exhausted. Surrendering to the Universe and what it has in store for me keeps me present, excited and honestly calmer. 5 Ways To OWN Your Hot, Sexy Ball-Of-Fire Body
"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us." — Joseph Campbell
How do you handle your life when your control muscle starts to take over? What helps you surrender to the Universe? I would love to hear your thoughts, insights and opinions. Leave me a comment below!
More Advice From YourTango:
- Help! My Therapy Is Not Working! Now What? [VIDEO]
- How To Give GREAT Phone Sex (Yes, You Can Do it!)
- Is Comfort Food Causing Your Depression?