- Use a journal to record your thoughts and emotions and to create a plan of action for moving forward.
- Revisit past instances of major life upheaval. What did you do at the time? How did you handle those circumstances? If you knew then what you know now, what kind of guidance would you give yourself? Where did you muster the strength to get through those experiences? How do those experiences relate or serve to help in this instance?
- If this were a movie and you could assign yourself a role and give yourself a character - who would you like to be in this drama? How would you like to ideally play this out?
- How is this experience an opportunity for dramatic personal growth? Professional growth? Relationship growth?
- What actions do you need to take to recover from this experience? What do you need to finish off or close down? What do you need to start or take on?
As a coach, my exposure to such a wide variety of circumstances that induce uncertainty has taught me this: all experiences, even if difficult, can be leveraged for growth. It's only those people who are willing to examine themselves with honesty and take full responsibility for their lives who are able to move forward from debilitating experiences in a powerful and exceptional manner. I have many clients who have experienced this transformation - I am privileged to get a front row seat in their development as it takes place.
Which areas of your life cause you the most uncertainty? Assess Your Frame of Mind to find out.
Kim Ades, MBA is president and founder of Frame of Mind Coaching and JournalEngine™ Software. Author, speaker, entrepreneur, coach, and mother of 5, Kim is one of North America’s foremost experts on performance through thought management. By using her unique process of coaching through journaling, she works with clients to unveil and switch their thought patterns to ignite significant change and life transformation. For a free online journal, visit www.frameofmindcoaching.com.