3. Introduce yourself to an unknown person. This can be anyone unfamiliar to you: your server at a restaurant, your grocery cashier, a bus driver. Make sure you smile and look the person right in the eye as you say, "Hi, my name is KarenLee. What's yours?" I know it sounds like a line from the musical "Gypsy," but it made her a remarkably successful flirt so give it a try.
4. Chat with a stranger. Go to a bar, restaurant, gym or any social gathering place and chat with a stranger. Talk to someone sitting at a coffee shop or strike up a conversation with a girl in a hair salon. The more comfortable you are with this step, the easier it is to start up a conversation with a man you are interested in getting to know.
More from YourTango: Cougars Need To Be Cautious About Their Safety
5. Feel comfortable to approach someone. You are now ready to approach someone you'd like to potentially date. This can take place anywhere: a bar, your favorite grocery store, the dog park or the car wash. Be ready at all times so you don't kick yourself later about letting the guy get away. Once you've found your target, make friendly eye contact and give him a big smile. He's bound to respond positively.
6. Make your move! Walk up to that person and say something relevant about him or your surroundings. You can comment on the weather. You can discuss something on TV. You can even pretend to be interested in the sports team on his hat. Bring up any subject that will get his attention. Make sure to use great eye contact and give him your full attention.
Do not look at anyone else or pick up your cell phone. If he indicates disinterest by turning away or grunting a one-word answer, move on to the next guy. I once walked up to a group of guys in a club and boldly asked, "Which one of you guys want to dance with me?" I ended up dating the brave lad for over a year.
7. Keep the conversation light and flowing. Tell a joke and respond to his attempts at humor. Ask a question; then shut up and listen! This may seem obvious but everyone likes to talk about his/her self or voice an opinion. If you listen intently and respond with a nod or smile, he'll feel special. If he shows you pictures of his kids or dog, you know you've captivated his interest. Those are a man's treasures and he wouldn't bother bringing them out if he didn't care to impress you.
More from YourTango: Single Women, Beware! 10 Dating Traps You Should Avoid
8. Make body contact. Touch his arm, shoulder or hand. If you get really bold, you can brush your leg up against his. This tiny gesture will indicate you're interested in him as more than a friend. This will help keep you out of "The Friend Zone." If he returns the gesture, you're on the right path. (I wouldn't recommend grabbing his crotch — that's a bit too flirtatious.) Keep reading ...