Now that we survived the Ides of March and are in the middle of March Madness, it's time to pause and celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
Whether you know the history of St. Patrick or not, it's the perfect time to get ready for spring fever and brush up on your flirting skills.
You don't need to be Irish to get into the spirit. Practice these 5 flirting skills and you'll likely have a date on your calendar in time for the weekend.
1. Wear a green button that says, "Kiss me if you're Irish." Chances are you'll get at least a smile, if not a peck on the cheek.
2. Grab some friends and go to your local watering hole. You don't need to drink green beer, or anything green for that matter, to get into the spirit. While standing in line, comment on someone's outfit who has caught your attention. It's the kind of day where approaching others isn't just accepted, it's expected.
3. Pick up a green carnation for your date. This would have been tacky on Valentine's Day, but on St. Patrick's Day, it's worth a chuckle and shows your date that you took the time to think of him or her.
4. Smile. A smile is contagious. Practice the 5-second stare while smiling at someone you would like to meet. It's the cue for them to come over and wish you a Happy St. Patrick's Day. Who knows where the conversation will lead?
5. Bring a camera, iPhone, or shiny new iPad and take photos. Compliment the guy with the tacky green tee shirt and take his photo to start the conversation. Chances are he'll ask you to see the picture and may even ask you to take another one. You'll be engaging and entertaining at the same time.
Keep in mind St. Patrick's Day is the perfect time to practice the art of flirting. Go ahead and wear that green button that flashes to draw attention today. If you're not in the mood to visit a local pub, go to a public place, wear green and start smiling. Add a green bandana on your dog's collar and go to the local dog park. You have permission to do it all.
Julie Spira is the author of the bestseller, The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online. Visit her at CyberDatingExpert.com. Follow Julie on Twitter @JulieSpira and like her at Facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert for more dating advice.