At times you will experience...
- Too much free time on your hands.
- Feeling lonely and alone.
- Fantasizing that everyone out there is happily in love.
- Missing a companion to share your life with.
- Feeling like people (or you) think there’s something wrong with you if you’re not in a relationship.
- Missing the touch and connection of intimacy, both emotional and physical.
Regardless of what side of the fence you currently reside, here are some general guidelines to help you cope.
More from YourTango: Have We Lost the Art of Love Making?
- Recognize when you are feeling a loss or a missing.
- Understand that these feelings are transient. They will pass. It doesn’t necessarily mean your relationship, or lack thereof, is bad.
- Find ways to soothe and comfort yourself as you move through the feelings.
- Engage in activities that fill those unmet needs appropriately. Some suggestions include creating space for yourself; getting away with friends for the weekend; making sure you have enough human touch—or at least get some "furry friend" touch; letting your partner know your need for ______; problem-solving on how you and your partner manage your money, time, and meals; and so on.
In the meantime, enjoy and appreciate the side of the fence in which you currently reside. Know that there is a time and place for all pastures. Understand that while it’s normal for the other pastures to look greener from where you stand from time to time, someone else from afar is thinking the same of you and yours'. Be in the moment. Know the missing will pass and take care of yourself and the people you love each step of the way.
If you or someone you know is struggling with appreciating life as it stands today, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I am here to provide personalized guidance and coaching. And if you want to start right now, go and purchase The Pathway to Love at-home program. You don’t need to wait. You can begin the process today. Take advantage of the opportunity receive the support and guidance you deserve.
As always, I’m here to support you in creating a transformational life and strong and powerful relationships.
Julie Orlov, psychotherapist, speaker, and author of The Pathway to Love: Create Intimacy and Transform Your Relationships through Self-Discovery
Retrieve Your FREE Relationship Assessment Quiz and see if YOUR Relationship is on track at www.julieorlov.com/quiz
Create Relationships in Your Life That Work — learn more at www.julieorlov.com
More from YourTango: How To Deal With Anger
P.S. And don't forget to catch my radio/TV show Pathways to Love w'Julie Orlov LIVE every Sunday 1:30pm PST on LATalkLive!