Discover why joining the fun online can be the best thing you do for your love life.
Being single is hard. Being single and over 40? That's downright daunting. The majority of my clients in this age group have found themselves divorced, widowed or still searching for love, and most, if not all of their friends are in relationships. Not to mention, the time demands of people over 40 are increasingly stressful (demanding careers, children, elderly parents), while the window of social opportunities to meet someone new is decreasingly small.
So, the obstacles in dating are definitely there. Yet, many of my clients initially resist trying online dating for fear of the unknown. As I see it, you can continue the path of least resistance (meaning less potential partners), or you can embrace online dating as a viable way to meet someone wonderful. In today's world, it's one of the quickest, most efficient ways to expand your dating pool and increase the likelihood of finding a happy, healthy relationship. Online Dating Is 50 Years Old: The Humble Beginnings
For those who are uneasy about online dating, consider these statistics:
• Over 40 million singles use online dating sites annually
• Baby Boomers (46 to 64-year olds) are the fastest growing age group on online dating sites
• 1 in 5 relationships that lead to commitment start online
• The men on these sites outnumber women by 60 percent (Yes, I know!)
If you're still not convinced, consider these advantages of the online dating world:
1. Convenience. If you lead a busy and fast-paced life (and really, who doesn’t?), turning to the Web provides a convenient and fast way to meet potential matches. It allows you the freedom to review people of interest and communicate with someone wonderful at any time of the day or night. You can't possibly meet and size up as many people in the flesh as you will via your computer. 6 Tips For A Perfect Online Dating Photo
2. Opportunity. Remember that "40 million singles" number I threw at you before? That's a huge pool of candidates, and it's filled with tons of people you might not normally come across in your daily life. The odds of meeting someone you really connect with are in your favor.
3. Safety And Privacy. On all dating websites, you have the ability to screen potential matches before you enter into the communication stage (i.e. messaging back and forth with the person). Your identity and contact information remains anonymous unless you decide to share it.
4. Like-minded people. The people who use online dating sites are looking to meet someone wonderful as well. By casting a wider net by creating your own profile on one of these sites, you're greatly increasing your chances of meeting someone whose values and interests are similar to yours.
As someone who's over forty and single, you know what you want and how precious your time is. Online dating is designed to cater to those needs and help you find someone great without exhausting all of your resources. If you give it a try and approach the endeavor with an open mind and a positive outlook, you may find going online was the best thing you've done for your love life.