Here are some tips that will help you connect with your children.
No matter how old your children are, even if they are adult professionals, it is never too late to connect and build strong relationships. These tips are simple but effective ways to communicate your love and support and to celebrate loving connections. The 9 Things You REALLY Teach Your Kids When You Spank Them
As a parent educator, I see so many families who forget to use common courtesy with each other. Always treat your children with the same respect you hope to see them use when relating to others. The way you talk to your kids will determine how they respond to you. How To Talk To Your Teen About Sex & Condoms
Here are five ways to effectively communicate with your children:
1. Tell them what you want, not what you don't want. If you state your wishes in a positive manner you will get a better response. Don't say, "Stop pushing your brother. Don't do it again or you will be sorry." Instead try, "When you push someone they can fall and get hurt. I want you to use your words if you want him to move."
2. Tell them what you expect in clear words. We don't always get what we want but we usually get what we expect. If we expect them to be lazy, that is what behavior will come back to us. A great example of what to say is "The milk belongs in the fridge." verses "Would it kill you to put the milk in the fridge?"
3. Receive their gifts with gratitude. Sometimes we get so caught up in daily life that we forget what our children have to teach us and their gifts of love are memory makers. You should say to your child, "You have a gift for remembering important things and I need to give you the time you need to tell me. How about you share the movie with me tonight at bedtime when I can really pay you the attention you deserve?"
More love advice from YourTango:
- 10 Unmistakable Ways To Tell If A Man Is In Love With You
- Aww! 10 Things Men Cannot Get ENOUGH Of When It Comes To Women
- Dumped At The Altar