Don't body-bash! Learn to love your wonderful body as it is right now!
1. You will take action and move forward in your life instead of being paralyzed by fear. Insecurity about your weight, your height, or your shape can keep you stuck and afraid. Instead, move forward with confidence knowing that you have much to offer the world because of the internal AND external beauty that you have defined for yourself.
2. You will accept things that you cannot change, but change things that are an exception to your life goals. You may have inherited the freckle gene or the size 10 shoe gene, but you can learn to accept that and find the benefits of those physical traits. You have the opportunity to take inspired action to transform the areas that you can. For instance, if being out of shape does not support your vision for yourself as an active person who does volunteer work in the community, then you will be motivated to change because of love and respect for yourself.
3. You can lose weight more easily. “What you resist, persists”. If you are resisting your current weight and are often thinking negatively about it, you are pushing away the possibility of creating what you want for your body. Accepting and loving yourself right now is the gateway to transforming your weight.
4. An attitude of gratitude makes all the difference. Maybe the cellulite on your legs bother you, or your stomach seems flabby, or your hips seem too wide. However, when you transform those perceived negatives to what you can be thankful for instead, you are able to love your body more easily. Remember that your stomach digests your food wonderfully, your legs allow you to move about your life, and your hips make it possible for you to bend and walk.
5. Your body is unique and special. While you may fantasize about having a model thin body or wear a bikini like a movie star, recognize that there is really nothing special about looking like a carbon copy of everyone else. You have so many distinctive features such as your hair, your eyes, your fingers, your toes and your arms. A positive body image is defined by how you love and appreciate how each of the unique parts makeup the whole of you.
6. Empowerment is yours – You won’t let others define you by a number on a scale or a dress size. You stand in your own power and declare to the world that you are worthy of respect because of who you are. You are no longer at the mercy of perceived judgments of others about you – you are free to be yourself in all areas.
7. Confidence is contagious. Others will sense the confidence that you have in your own skin, and it will translate into them interacting with you confidently and treating you with more respect. Imagine the positive effects that this can have on your relationships and your career!
8. You will feel more connected to others. Insecurity with our body tends to make us want to isolate ourselves. We feel like we don’t deserve to be out at social events and have relationships like those whom we perceive to have ideal bodies. When you realize that the people who matter most will accept you just as you are right now, you can enjoy being connected to others without fear of judgment.
9. When love goes around, it comes around. When you love your body, it’s easier for you to open your heart in love to others because you are not stuck in a negative mindset towards yourself. When you love others without reservation, they will naturally love and respect you more thus reinforcing your own positive body image.
10. You are free to be imperfect. There’s a lot of pressure in our society to maintain a certain size or weight and to have a “perfect” body. The trap of perfectionism is that you are never good enough and you always find something else to criticize. Embracing your imperfections and flaws unashamedly is freeing!