3. Exercise to burn off the anxiety and increase endorphins. Don't skip your workout on Sundays. Exercise is nature's antidepressant and will also encourage a good night's sleep.
4. Make healthy choices. While a couple glasses of wine might sound like a good way to take the edge off, alcohol is a depressant and is going to leave you feeling even lower in the morning (Monday is the most popular day to call in sick…) Instead, make a healthy meal and enjoy with some herbal tea or some seltzer water with lemon.
5. Have a Sunday evening ritual. I used to take a yoga class on Sunday nights and loved that it cleared my mind and set a positive tone for the work week. In the summers, my family and I have dinner picnics on the beach on Sundays, which is something we all enjoy. During the school year, we make it family movie or game night. All these things are enjoyable and take my mind off of looming things at work that I can't control. Pick something that works for you and make it your routine so you dont even have to think about it.
6. Promote relaxation before bed. Meditate, take a bubble bath, read a good book, stretch or practice yoga, listen to calming music, give yourself a facial or mani-pedi. Don't have your laptop or work papers in your bedroom–keep the place that you sleep a sanctuary for rest.
7. Resist the urge to skip all of the above to get some work done instead. While you might feel that getting some stuff done will decrease your anxiety, this is a recipe for work-a-holism and burnout. The reality is "enough is never enough" and the deeper you get into it, the more overwhelmed you will become. Also, if you start your week with an empty tank, you are setting yourself up for failure. Instead, take no more than 30 minutes to look at your calendar and your "To Do" list to organize when you are going to handle what throughout the week. Then let go and trust that all will get done and all will be well.
The weekend is a time to reboot your mind and body to set yourself up for success throughout the week, so use it wisely!