I’ve been spending a lot of time over the past month strategizing how I want to run my business this year. Today it occurred to me that it would be really helpful to strategize my relationship in much the same way.
Great things don’t just happen; they happen after careful, specific planning toward an intended goal and consistent action aligned with that goal. It really doesn’t matter what area of your life you’re thinking about, but most people spend more time planning their vacation than they do planning a successful relationship (or a successful retirement, but that’s a story for another time).
Whether you want to have a better relationship, or you’re single and want to either meet the man of your dreams or remain happily single, it’s imperative that you have a plan in place to reach your goal.
Here are five areas to review as you plan for a great relationship in the coming year:
1. Family Time. How often do you want to eat dinner together as a family? Do you want to have a movie night or an outdoor excursion on a regular basis? How much time do you want to spend with your parents and siblings and their families? How do you want to spend your vacations?
2. Couple Time. How often do you want to have date nights, and what types of things do you want to do during your time together? Do you want to take a romantic getaway weekend? You don’t have to plan every detail, but block out the time and be sure to use it.
3. Friends Time. In order to ensure you don’t neglect important friendships, schedule time with them on a regular basis and stick with it. Whether it’s girls’ night out or guys hanging to watch the game, having healthy friendships increases a couples romantic bonds.
4. Alone Time. Unless you’re outrageously introverted, everyone needs time alone to recharge their batteries. Schedule time weekly to meditate, exercise, or tinker with the car.
5. Sex. I know it doesn’t sound sexy to plan sex, but if you’re a busy couple, it’s the only sure fire way to make it happen. Just because it’s planned doesn’t mean it has to be boring. What new positions do you want to try? What fantasies would you like to explore? Just be sure to set aside time each week and make it a priority.
Great things happen to people who plan for them and consistently take action toward their goals. Or, you can let life just happen to you. I know I’m going to start planning tonight.
More from YourTango: 5 Ways Abandonment Issues Can Ruin Your Relationships