Whose idea was Valentine's Day, anyways? Here are seven easy ways to celebrate love every day.
Seven Ways to Celebrate Love All Year
Whose idea was it to celebrate love one day of the year? I can’t stand Valentine’s Day. I know that might be a shock, seeing as how I’m a relationship coach, but hear me out.
Having one day singled out to celebrate love takes the pressure off people to show their love all year round. It also puts pressure on people (men, mostly) to think they have to come up with the perfect gift or the perfect celebration. In my experience, that kind of pressure usually results in bad news. It’s a lot like New Year’s Eve; a whole lot of hype that rarely lives up to its expectations.
I recommend down playing Valentine’s Day and instead, inserting several Love Days throughout the year. I also recommend doing something special for the person you love every week; if you’re feeling adventurous, try for every day. Here are some simple suggestions to make your sweetie feel special all year.
1. Put a Post-It note on their bathroom mirror with a sweet sentiment. You can write “I love your smile,” “Let’s have a date tonight,” or something steamier.
2. Create a playlist on their iPod of songs that are meaningful to you as a couple.
3. Send a card in the mail, even if you live together.
4. Light some candles and set the table nicely for dinner on a Tuesday night.
5. Buy a bouquet of flowers or a single red rose for no other reason than love.
6. Hold hands the next time you’re out, whether on a walk or at the store.
7. Make a “top 10” list of reasons you love your partner. Write or type it out nicely on a fancy piece of paper. (if you can’t think of 10 things, you might want to hire a professional to help you improve the relationship or move on)