A warming, spicy dish to ground and root you when you are feeling unbalanced or unsure.
I am not a believer in set in stone recipes. I prefer to cook and create from the heart. Today's dish is one of my heart's creations that can be a delicious recipe for yourself, or a great dinner recipe for two.
Spicy, warm, filling but also light, this dish is a great rooting meal easy to digest full of nourishment with a little kick of heat. I used frozen chicken tenders (from a bulk bag) but you can use any type of meat you prefer, or none at all for a vegan dish.
List Of Ingredients:
- 1 Can of Rotel tomatoes (or similar)
- 3 frozen, raw chicken breasts (or 6 breast tenders if preferred)
- 1 medium Vidalia or sweet onion, diced
- 1 Container of Chicken Broth (or vegetable broth) low sodium
- 2 packets of Goya Sazon with saffron (con azrafan)
- Dried chili peppers to taste (optional)
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- 1 Cup of brown or wild rice (uncooked)
How To Make This Masterpiece:
In crock pot, place the frozen chicken pieces, 1 can of Rotel undrained, 1 container of chicken broth, the 2 packets of Sazon, the raw diced onion, crushed red pepper flakes, or other dried chilies, cover and set on low
- In the last 2 hours of cooking, add the rice and stir, covering again and allowing to finish cooking (alternately you can cook the rice separately and then add afterwards
- After the meal is done cooking, add in chopped fresh cilantro, stir and serve immediately
This meal is wonderfully warming and has just the right bland of spices to be spicy without being hot. Play around with the peppers you use and if you wish to add any additional vegetables, such as diced green peppers, carrots, etc.
You can top with diced avocado or homemade guacamole to add a creamy texture to the dish.