MAKE YOUR LIFE A BLESSING
What gives us the courage to keep going? What gives us the courage to search for a life of meaning? How to find work that is meaningful? How to choose the right livelihood? How to avoid bitterness and cynicism? How can we continue to practice generosity toward others when so often people who are close to us disappoint us?
How can we use life's lessons to learn to love better, more deeply, with wisdom?
What does it mean to live a life of blessing? What does it mean to you?
About Ilene Serlin
Hello, let me introduce myself, I am Dr. Ilene Serlin a clinical psychologist and registered dance/movement therapist. I am the founder and Director of Union Street Health Associates and the Arts Medicine Program at California Pacific Medical Center. A Fellow of the American Psychological Association, Past President and Council Representative of the Division of Humanistic Psychology of the American Psychological Association, on the Editorial Boards of the Arts in Psychotherapy, the American Journal of Dance Therapy, and the Journal of Humanistic Psychology, and have taught and published widely in the US and abroad.
My approach draws on extensive background of training and experience in dance and the arts, Gestalt and depth psychotherapy, and behavioral medicine. I have been dancing for 40 years and trained in Labanatation with Irmgard Bartenieff. Studied and taught with Laura Perls at the New York Gestalt Institute, did her pre-doctoral internship at the Children's Clinic of the C.G. Jung Institute of Los Angeles, and taught at UCLA Lesley College, Saybrook Graduate School, and the California School of Professional Psychology.
My Appointments include the following honors:
- past presidency of the San Francisco Psychological Association
- membership on the board of the International Dance Council, the official organization for dance at UNESCO
- election to the membership committee of the American Psychological Association (APA)
and membership on the editorial boards of
- The Humanistic Psychologist, the peer-reviewed journal for the Division of Humanistic Psychology of the APA
- Arts & Health: An International Journal of Research, Policy and Practice
- The Journal of Applied Arts and Health
- PsycCRITIQUES, the review of contemporary books and films of the APA
- The American Journal of Dance Therapy, a peer-reviewed journal
- The Journal of Humanistic Psychology
I am a licensed psychologist and registered dance/movement therapist in practice in San Francisco and Marin county. I am the past-president of the San Francisco Psychological Association, a Fellow of the American Psychological Association, past-president of the Division of Humanistic Psychology. I taught at Saybrook University, Lesley University, UCLA, the NY Gestalt Institute and the C.G. Jung Institute in Zurich. Currently, the editor of Whole Person Healthcare (2007, 3 vol., Praeger) over 100 chapters and articles on body, art and psychotherapy, and is on the editorial boards of PsycCritiques, the American Dance Therapy Journal, the Journal of Humanistic Psychology, Arts & Health: An International Journal of Research, Policy and Practice, Journal of Applied Arts and Health, and The Humanistic Psychologist.