Believe it or not, this football head-loving girl knows a thing or two about love.
She may not have won Arnold's heart in Hey Arnold! (as far as we know), but Helga certainly had ours. Her literary brilliance, quick wit and no-nonsense attitude made her a fantastic role model.
Wise beyond her years, Helga taught us so many life lessons — particularly when it comes to love.
- Don't change yourself. Whether you rock a unibrow or not, Helga shows us the person you're best at being is yourself — flaws and all. Accept that you're a tomboy, a girly girl or whatever else, and make the most of it. Someone will love you just the way you are, so you don't have to make yourself into someone you’re not — even if you don't happen to look or act like Lila.
- Communicate effectively. Maybe calling the love of your life a "football head" isn't your best bet, but Helga also shows the power of good communication. She tells Arnold about her problems often, and the two are able to develop a solution. For what she can't say aloud, she conveys through writing. She also showed us the difficulty of keeping secrets from the person you care about.
- Pursue your dreams. If you want to get married, get married. If you want a good man, find one. You don't have to settle for a relationship that isn't what you’re looking for. Through hard work, dreams can become a reality, so hold out for them. If you want to be the President to his First Man, you'll find someone who is looking for the same thing.
- Appreciate progress. Perfect relationships don't happen over night, so recognize the little things. Helga was thrilled that Arnold thought she was OK and touched her. Maybe for you, it's that he's going to introduce you to his parents. Accept that strong foundations are built one block at a time, and don't rush things. You will get there eventually, and that's what matters.
- Love yourself first. Before you can love anyone else, you have to love yourself. You can accept that sometimes you're a bully or a bit of a hoarder, but that's OK — you've also got a ton of qualities to be proud of. When you love yourself, you open yourself up to be loved by others.
Helga has said, "Yeah, well I'm a pretty amazing person." So are you.