Picking out a gift for the first anniversary can be difficult. We give you five romantic ideas.
Most couples feel like the first anniversary is the hardest to buy for — the marriage is still new and full of romantic feeling and both spouses want to mark the occasion in an especially memorable way. The traditional gift for the first anniversary is paper, while the modern approach calls for clocks. Our five sentimental first anniversary gifts list is a selection of spectacular and creative mementos that highlight your love for each other.
1. An art-quality framed map. If your relationship has included travel to exotic locales or just dreams of visiting distant shores, a handsome map of the world shows your spouse you remain invested in the dream. And for many couples, the first anniversary doesn't land during a high-income phase of their careers — so let this gift be a down payment on the life you're working to build with each other.
2. A scrapbook of your first year. Talk about a chance to dig into sentiment — nothing says, "What a great time we've had so far," like collecting photographs, stubs from movie and concert tickets, the airport code tags pulled from your bags after a trip, dried flowers and the other odds and ends of the first year of your marriage. To make it even more special, build in a pocket on the last page with concert or plane tickets or a similar gift.
3. A sundial. The modern gift for the Paper Anniversary is a clock, symbolizing time together and the years ahead of you. A sundial connects that tradition to the past and also speaks to the cycles of your relationship as part of the cycle of the seasons and the movement of the planet. And as a decorative piece, a sundial adds beauty to outdoor spaces or serves as a lovely indoor conversation piece.
4. Memory box. If you want to really get sentimental with your anniversary gift giving, take a large box and begin filling it with the things that helped bring you together to begin with. Did you meet at a concert for a band whose music you only have on a computer? Purchase a physical CD (or LP, if that's your thing) of your spouse's favorite record from them. Keep reading ...
More anniversary gift ideas from YourTango:
- Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary, Shares Tips
- 20 Crazy-Romantic, Creative Ways To Say 'I Love You'
- How To Celebrate A Fifth Wedding Anniversary