BEST PRACTICES OF GREAT PARENTS
- Be kind to your kids. How we treat our children sets the model for how they will treat themselves.
- Create an open discussion with your kids. Talking is the glue that holds relationships together.
- Balance love/nurture with setting/holding boundaries.
- Build self-esteem by using words that support and motivate, rather than criticize.
- Equip your children with coping skills to deal with disappointments so they do not overeat when stung with an upsetting feeling. We cannot protect or prevent life's disappointments. The best we can do is equip ourselves to deal with inevitable life letdowns.
- Never engage in negotiations, bargaining, or deal-making, especially when resolving conflicts. Rather, talk about what your child feels and wants in the moment. This teaches empathy.
How do you and your partner negotiate different parenting styles?
More from YourTango: 11 Ways To Save When Shopping for Shoes
More from YourTango: Six Ways to Take Your Look from Beach to Bistro
More from GalTime.com:
- Are You Always the Bad Guy When it Comes to Discipline?
- 6 Tips for Shopping for Children's Toys
- Are You Treating Your Kids Like Your Career? 5 Ways to Tell
- The Ultimate Parent Fails