- Fill out your profile completely; don’t leave anything of importance out!
- Make sure your profile picture is professional.
- Your summary should reflect: who you are professionally, where you’ve been (think accomplishments), where you’re going, and include your specialties in list format.
- Exhaust your list of skills and expertise – your network can endorse you for these; increasing your visibility when recruiters perform keyword searches.
- Connect, connect, and connect some more – friends, colleagues, teachers, mentors, professionals within your career field (think those who are in the job you want), and recruiters.
- Ask for recommendations. More recommendations = higher credibility factor.
- Find professionals with whom you’d like to conduct an informational interview to learn more about a job, company, or career field in which you’re interested.
3. Use Facebook to interact with future employers and establish your brand.
- Search for businesses you’d like to work for and “like” their pages.
- When businesses post information of interest, “like” and comment to engage and increase your visibility with them.
- Post content related to who you are professionally and never post controversial material.
Related: Happy Clients Are Repeat Clients
More from YourTango: 11 Ways To Save When Shopping for Shoes
4. Join and/or utilize Twitter to follow businesses of interest and those who offer industry related information and jobs.
More from YourTango: Six Ways to Take Your Look from Beach to Bistro
- Create a Twitter handle reflecting your brand (mine is DMCareerPro).
- Search industry keywords, cities, or companies to find people and companies to “follow” and learn from – recruiters and companies post jobs on Twitter!
- Share interesting, industry related articles, facts, or quotes to let people know you’re interested, up-to-date, and engaged in the conversations surrounding your industry.
- Tweet individuals of interest (think industry experts or article authors) to start a conversation, send a shout out, or give recognition to make yourself visible.
5. Use YouTube for more than just baby and cat videos.