Social media, a term we hear so often in today’s hyper-technology driven world. But what does it really mean? According to Urban Dictionary, social media is defined as the, “participatory online media that utilizes the group to write and direct content, rather than a read-only media. Allows for direct contact between participants.” The final sentence in the above definition is the most important to understand when seeking to utilize social media in your job search efforts. Read that last statement a few times out loud to yourself. You’ll begin to see the connection between social media and the job search.
“As you may already know, most jobs come about through networking, not applying on job boards or aimlessly sending out resumes. Social media tools make networking much easier and much more powerful due to their interactive nature. Thus, when a job-seeker really learns to use social networking well, her chances for finding opportunities multiply exponentially.”
Now that you understand why utilizing social media is necessary to land your dream job, I’ll share 5 actions you can take now to increase your chances of reaching your job goals via the use of social media.
1. Find your direction, establish goals, & envision job search success.
- Without direction, the path to success is unclear. Figure out where you want to go and where you want to be. Let that be your guide.
- Establish your job search goals before you dive in – “Do I want to be a business consultant, or do I want to be a full-time employee at Intel?”
- Believe that you will reach your career goals and envision yourself at the finish line. As the great Walt Disney says, “If you can dream it, you can do it!”
2. Join LinkedIn and/or maximize it to its full potential.