by Stacy Stone, Donna Dance & Darlene Renteria for GalTime.com
More from YourTango: Want To Improve Your Marriage? Get Organized With Weekly Meetings
You've made the decision to sell your home and chances are you're looking to sell it quickly for top dollar. If you think placing a FOR SALE sign on your lawn is all you need to do to attract potential buyers, think again.
Staging your home for sale can make the difference between a quick sale and an ongoing listing.
Take a look a 10 simple ways you can ready your home for sale to attract homebuyers and an attractive sale price:
1. Paint the interior: New paint is the most inexpensive way to give your home a fresh new look. Keep in mind that neutral warm colors appeal to most people. Neutral tones help to create a blank palette for the potential buyer, making it easier for them to imagine living there.
2. Hire a professional cleaner: Instruct the cleaner to get all the spots that might not make it on your weekly cleaning routine, such as baseboards, ceiling fans, and window sills.
3. De-clutter your home: Host a garage sale to get rid of unnecessary items and put some extra money in your pocket. Remember, less is more. The fewer items you have in your home, the larger it will appear.
More from YourTango: How Often Should You Bathe Your Baby?
4. Lighting: Replace outdated lighting fixtures. If you already have updated fixtures, make sure they are clean and free of dust. Open all blinds and curtains to take advantage of your home’s natural light.
5. Exterior: Maintain the exterior of your home. Make sure there is plenty of curb appeal by keeping your lawn, trees, hedges, and other plants nicely manicured. Doing so greatly impacts a potential buyer’s first impression of the house.
6. Update the kitchen: You don’t have to break the bank in order to give your kitchen a fresh look. Consider refinishing the front of your kitchen cabinets and adding new hardware which can change the look dramatically and drive the value upward. Also, consider updating the kitchen appliances if they are outdated. The return on updated appliances also gives you a good bang for your buck.
7. Revamp the bathroom: Add scented candles and plush rolled-up towels to your bathroom. Think of a day spa theme as you want potential buyers to feel relaxed and comfortable.
8. Get ‘er done: Make sure there are no unfinished projects in your home. Potential buyers may deduct money when placing an offer if they see something that needs to be finished or repaired.