By Mary Perry, RD for GalTime.com
So you've been working out and eating well in search of finding Mr/Mrs. Right and now that you've found them your regular workouts and healthy habits have been replaced by frequent visits to your local restaurants, ice cream shops, and dinners at home.
More from YourTango: Want To Improve Your Marriage? Get Organized With Weekly Meetings
While you wouldn't trade your current state of happiness for the world, here are some tips for how to keep that figure you worked hard for without packing on the pounds or only eating salads.
More from YourTango: How Often Should You Bathe Your Baby?
- Call ahead or look at the menu before you go: The beauty of technology these days is that most places post their menus online for you to look at. Decide what you are going to have before you go and stick with it. Be the first to order so you don't waver on what you plan to have.
Related: Dining Out on a Diet-- Yes, You Can!
- Eat Small Frequent Meals Throughout the Day: If you know you are going out the temptation is to bank all of your calories so that you can indulge later. While this sounds good in theory, typically it leads to greater consumption and over eating. Eat small frequent meals throughout the day and have a snack before you go. By keeping your blood sugar steady throughout the day and having a small snack before you go, you'll be surprised at the willpower you have to avoid the bread basket and the temptation to order a high calorie appetizer and entrée. You'll also be less likely to feel the need to finish everything on your plate.
- Avoid Alcohol Before Eating: Drinking alcohol before eating sometimes leads to the temptation to just throw in the towel when selecting an appetizer or entrée. Order your entrée first and then if you'd like to have an alcoholic beverage stick with wine or light beer, avoiding the sugar-laden cocktails.
- Split Your Appetizer or Entrée: Sharing an appetizer or entrée isn't just a fun way to add to the romance of the night, but it allows you to enjoy the meal with half the calories!
- Drink Water: Studies suggest that drinking 16 ounces of water before a meal significantly curbs how much food you consume at the meal…Drink up!
- Know How to Navigate the Menu: When selecting an entrée choose one that isn't drenched in dressings, cream based sauces or cheese. Look for these key words when ordering as most likely it means they are healthier choices: Baked, Broiled, Boiled, Poaches, Steamed, Roasted, Grilled, Stir-fried.
Related: 5 Foods that Can Flatten Your Belly