It is easy to get busy with back to school. Here are some tips on what's good to eat!
School, work schedules and balancing family life can be a task in itself. With all the chaos, mealtime planning can easily be over looked.
By neglecting to plan meals in advance, we subconsciously permit unhealthy eating habits; making mealtime planning a priority can prevent this.
It may seem like an arduous task but planning meals ahead of time can take as little as fifteen minutes or less!
Still pressed for time? Try adding functional foods to your menu.
Functional foods are foods that offer great health benefits beyond nutrition. According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, they are traditional foods such as fruit, veggies, yogurts and whole grains that are enhanced with nutrients, phytonutrients and other health promoting substances.
Related: 8 Ways To Get Kids Eating Healthier
Many functional foods are quick and easy to prepare. The convenience is an added plus!
Functional foods: Healthy, Convenient and Yummy Tips!
- Top oatmeal with your favorite in season fruit.
- Spread your favorite organic nut butter on whole grain toast.
- Mixed yogurt with fresh fruit and whole-grain dry cereal.
- Serve whole wheat waffle with organic honey and fresh fruit
Lunch & Dinner
- Mix tuna with grated carrots, red peppers, onions, and garlic and instead of mayo add avocado.
- Serve whole grain pasta with herbs, tomato sauce and steamed veggies.
- Try a fresh salad of slice apples, romaine lettuce, baby spinach ad raisins topped with your favorite low-fat dressing.
- Make a stir-fry of fresh veggies and baked salmon.
Snack(s) On The Go
- Grab a piece of fresh in season fruit and or raw vegetable with a tofu dip.
- Blend your favorite fruits, veggies, coconut milk or almond milk and or yogurt. Put it a capped bottle and store it in the refrigerator. Grab your smoothie on your way out!
- Mix unsalted nuts, raisins and hit the trail.
- Try topping low sodium cracker with peanut butter and sliced bananas.
More from GalTime.com:
- 5 Foods That Can Flatten Your Belly
- It is Possible to Eat Healthier for Less
- High Energy Bars with Dried Cranberries
- How To Pack Healthier Snacks For School