Yay! He proposed! Now you’re on to the fun task of planning the day you’ve been dreaming about for a long time and the one you’ll remember forever. One of the most exciting parts of planning a wedding is finding your perfect dress. The dress that is just so totally “you” and one that makes you look – and feel – utterly beautiful. It’s a thrilling search, but one that can also be daunting if you don’t do a little research before jumping in.
More from YourTango: The One Thing He Can't Do For You
What are the two things you need to think about before you grab your entourage and start shopping? The style of dress you want, and the style of dress that flatters your body most.
Classic or Modern?
This is part you’ve probably been daydreaming about as you read blogs and sneak peaks at wedding magazines while at work. What will your dress be like? Classic? Modern? Romantic? Sexy? Glamorous? A mix? To find your perfect style, think about the celebs whose dresses you’ve drooled over or the dress pictures whose pages have become dog-eared from looking at them so often. Look at those dresses and you’ll see a theme in the style of gowns that keep appearing. You might want to factor in your venue and time of day into your style choice, but if your heart always beats a little faster when you look at a glamorous, red carpet worthy gown, then I’d say that is the style that is calling your name.
Now, on to the second part of finding your perfect dress – finding the style that flatters your shape. These are the dresses that will showcase your best features and make you forget the about the ones you’d prefer not to mention.
Figure Flattering Styles
Find your shape below and see our style tips for dresses that will make you look like the knockout bride you are.
(You are an apple if you are widest around your torso).
STYLE TIPS FOR APPLES
• Use lower/plunging necklines to draw attention upwards. V-neck and sweetheart necklines are great options.
• Elongate your silhouette with a high waistline and a skirt that flows away from the body. Empire waistlines and A-line silhouettes are best for this.
• Consider showing off your legs with knee or tea length dresses.
(You are a pear if you are thinner on top with more curves/fullness on the bottom half).
More from YourTango: How To Get Financially Stable After Divorce
STYLE TIPS FOR PEARS
• Create balance for your shape by putting the attention on your upper half. Great options are one shoulder, strapless, v-neck, bateau or scoop necklines.
• Reduce attention your bottom half with ballgown or A-line silhouettes.
(You are an hourglass if your shoulders and hips are about the same width and you have a well-defined waist).