Related: Vegetarian Roasted Corn Tacos
6. Use good fats. Include sources of healthy fats in daily meals, especially extra-virgin olive oil, nuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, olives, and avocados.
More from YourTango: 11 Ways To Save When Shopping for Shoes
7. Enjoy some dairy products. Eat Greek or plain yogurt, and try small amounts of a variety of cheeses.
8. For dessert, eat fresh fruit. Choose from a wide range of delicious fresh fruits — from fresh figs and oranges to pomegranates, grapes and apples. Save sweets like cookie and ice cream for a special treat.
More from GalTime:
- Trendy, Alternative Workouts
- The Real Scoop on Sugar
- How BLTs Can Get You Into Trouble (Bits, Licks, and Tastes!)
- Simple, Warm-Weather Workouts
For some Med inspiration this May, check out Oldways’ “Dietitian-A-Day-for-the-Month-of-May,” where 31 well-known health professionals will provide personal stories and recipes on The Oldways Table blog.
More from YourTango: Six Ways to Take Your Look from Beach to Bistro
Georgia Orcutt is a program manager for Oldways, a nonprofit food and nutrition education organization, with a mission to guide people to good health through heritage. Oldways is well-known for creating the Whole Grain Stamp and the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid.