4. Why do I need to continue this friendship? – What's the point? What's so great about this person that you simply must hold on to the connection? Maybe it's a great job contact? Perhaps this person is somehow connected you in a different way? Maybe you're the person who set the couple up? Or maybe you've got other motives… and you know what I'm talking about.
5. What kind of relationship are you trying to maintain? – Maybe you're just trying to remain civil and polite as opposed to becoming besties and hitting Happy Hour together. To your friend, a civil relationship may be acceptable while something of more depth may prove problematic.
6. Are you prepared to lose a longtime friend? – By maintaining a connection with your "relationship friend", are you ready to accept that your original, long time buddy, may be less than thrilled with the continued association? Are you willing to exchange one friendship for another?
It goes without saying that each and every situation is unique, but hopefully you've answered the questions above as honestly as possible in your own mind and are willing to accept the consequences of your final decision. What other rules or points should people consider in this situation? Or should this even be a consideration? What do you think? Share your thoughts!
More from GalTime.com:
- Mastering the Art of the 'Plus One'
- Can You Trust 'Summer Love'?
- Four Telltale Signs He's NOT the One
- 15 Creative Questions to Ask on a Date
Hailing from the San Francisco Bay Area, veteran media professional and author of "Your Straight Male Friend..Every Woman Should Have One", Marcus has honed his talent and keen ability to convey to women, the inner workings of the male mind via regular forays into the "friend zone." He launched his crusade to bridge the Mars/Venus communication gap as Your Straight Male Friend after realizing that women weren't getting the real story about what motivates men in the game of love, sex, dating & relationships. Now spreading the gospel, "A straight male friend...every woman should have one!"