Stopping The Slide Into Emotional Infidelity
If you find yourself slipping into the danger zone, it's time to take precautions to protect your relationship by moving away from the magnetic pull of cheating — even if it's not so much fun.
1. Step away from the attraction by setting limits on the amount of contact you have.
2. No longer share about your troubles, turn to your partner first for support.
3. Only spend time together in groups.
4. Refocus your attention on your partner by stopping all thoughts and fantasies about the new guy.
5. Plan some fun with your partner so you can reconnect and get the spark going again.
It's important to recognize that everyone is at risk for emotional infidelity, even if you have a solid relationship because attention and affection from someone new always feels good. So don't beat yourself up when you notice the pull toward another cutie, just use that as a sign to move closer to the one you already love and spice it up, instead of straying outside the boundaries to get your needs met. As long as you keep the boundaries around your primary relationship strong, you'll stay safely in love!
What are the lines that you draw? What is appropriate/inappropriate in male-female friendships if at least one is in a relationship? We want to hear from you!