As everyone knows, today’s favourite method of mating and dating for singletons the world over is to join an online dating site. But what most people don’t realize is that only around 10% of dating site members actually meet a long-term partner on their chosen site and a whopping 70% don’t even receive one message from another member. If you follow the 10 simple steps outlined below, you too can join the 1 in 5 relationships that start online.
1. Choose the right site. The acceptance of online dating has provided a smorgasbord of choice for love seekers but you should take a few moments to decide on the type of partner you’re looking for, not to mention the town or city where you would prefer him/her to be located. There are niche sites which cater to all sectors (single parents, rockers, gay people etc) and general sites which welcome all comers just as there are city or country specific sites and sites with a global perspective. Choosing the right site that fits your personality is probably the most important decision you’ll make when looking for a partner on line.
More from YourTango: Looking for Love? There's An App For That!
2. Choose a unique username. First impressions always last and the on line identity which you give yourself is the first thing that other members will see before they check-out your profile. ‘Funny’ works, ‘cryptic’ works and you won’t go far wrong even if you decide to use your own Christian name. However, if you go down the trashy or sexually suggestive route (which a lot of guys seem to do), think of what personalities you will be attracting. Remember, it is human nature to judge a book by it’s cover!
3. Upload a photo. This is crucial as a significant percentage of people only search for members who have bothered to include a picture, including me. I am certain that you want to see what other members look like so it stands to reason that other people will feel the same way about you. If the only photo you have isn’t particularly flattering, you can always mention that in your profile – it’s still better than no photo at all.
More from YourTango: Five Ways to Cure Being Chronically Single
4. Complete your profile. There’s nothing more off-putting than a profile which screams “I am not taking this seriously”. If you don’t have time to complete all the categories when you are signing-up, then make the time to do so at the earliest opportunity.
5. Be upbeat and positive. If you’re feeling a little down or lacking in confidence, now isn’t the time to say so when you’re writing a description of yourself. If you come across as confident, happy and full of fun, you’ll get much more attention than if you come across as mono-syllabic or down in the dumps. And remember, humour is a real ice-breaker and a great aphrodisiac.
6. Widen your search criteria. If you generally go for people who have blonde hair, blue eyes and are between 5’4″ and 5’6″ and you narrow your search down to just these specifics, then you may be missing out on a great many other members who you’ll also find just as attractive. To start with, just search by gender, age and location and that way you’ll be giving yourself and other a fair opportunity.