The Academy Awards are right around the corner. If you are a movie buff, a celebrity watcher or a fashion gawker, this is prime time to sit back, relax and enjoy the show.
This is also a good time to mingle and be social. If you are looking for something to do to make Sunday's show a little more festive, check out this list of places to watch with other cinephiles like yourself. The events range from free to premium prices. Be sure to check before you go and RSVP, if required.
More from YourTango: It's National Singles Awareness Day! Be Aware: You're Awesome
More from YourTango: Looking for Love? There's An App For That!
- New York - The New York Social Network, along with multiple other singles networking groups, is hosting a viewing party at the Bone Lick Park Barbecue Restaurant. With thousands of singles being invited to this event, you might be starstruck.
- Boston - Join Boston Singles at Battery Park and Lounge for a Red Carpet Viewing Party. Pull out your Sunday best because it's a dress to impress event. Don't pull a fashion faux pas. Make sure your outfit is more Project Runway and not What Not to Wear.
- Los Angeles - Film students at USC Cinematic Arts are taking their own direction and having a party at the theater on campus. If you are feeling a little artsy fartsy, this is the place to be.
- San Diego - At Prospect Bar in La Jolla, Tall Women & Tall Men Singles Group is not only throwing a party, but you can also win a trip to Cancun. Get your passport ready, you may be heading to the beach to drink margaritas and star in your own Mexican romance. ¡Arriba!
- San Francisco - Reminiscent of The Joy Luck Club, Singles in the City is hosting a secret potluck party. You have to be a member of the group and born between the years 1960-1979. The exclusivity of this group alone makes it an interesting party to attend.
- Atlanta - Sky's the Limit Adventures has invited 5,000 of its members to enjoy an open bar and passed hor d'oeruves at East Andrews. You may meet enough people to cast in your own movie. Just make sure it's a romantic comedy and not a dramatic thriller.
- Dallas - Although Ben Stiller won't be making a cameo, you can still enjoy Oscar Night at the Museum. Enjoy cocktails, light food and the ambiance while rubbing shoulders with some of Dallas' sexiest singles.
- Las Vegas - Enjoy a night at the theater. Literally. Brendan Theater at the Palms Hotel and Casino is holding an Oscar Night Experience with celebrities, movie executives and insiders. Watch the awards inside the theater and enjoy a fare of food and drink fit for an Academy Award winner.
- Chicago - It's an intimate affair from Girls About Town, and one just for the ladies. If you are looking to expand your supporting cast of girlfriends, this may be the ticket for you.
- Portland - Leave it to Portland to combine campy with red carpet. Spend the evening with other Portlandiers at the Bob White Theater for food, drink and the show. The theme is MoshPit Night, so you can come in black tie or feel free to wear flannels. Keep Portland Weird.
Want to host your own party? It's not too late. Make it a potluck or keep it simple. Serve pizza, wine and champagne. Visit Oscars.org and download the party kit to print out so you can cast your ballots. Be the star of your own show and invite your friends over to watch. Suggest everyone bring a plus one and get ready for your close up. You just may meet your next leading man.