Take a cue from Frank Sinatra. Have one for your (former) baby and one (telling him to hit) the road
Romantic dinners, candlelight and champagne tend to go hand in hand with Valentine's Day. Traditionally, this is one of the busiest seasons for winemakers. Whether it's champagne, red or white wine, couples across the world celebrate their relationships with a clink of the glasses.
For another group of people, Valentine’s Day has been looked at as a reminder of not having a significant other. To not be counted out, a movement started years ago to acknowledge singles around the world on or around February 14th. Singles Awareness Day honors those that don’t have a plus one. Singles partake in the festivities and go to dinner, spend time with friends and celebrate love.
However, sometimes Cupid just doesn’t get it right. He pairs fragile hearts with heartbreakers, the faithful with the cheaters and the honest with the liars. It’s safe to say that love is blind, but Cupid seems to have questionable aim. Those left behind in the wreckage of a bad relationship are often heartbroken, disappointed or worse, jaded. Valentine’s Day serves as an unfortunate memory of lost love.
Letting go of a bad romance is the first step in drawing in a new one. Let the lovers drink their bubbly champagne. Say a farewell toast to love gone wrong with one of these curated cocktails found across the web:
- Central 214's Dirty Love Cocktail – A drink feature on the cocktail list at Central 214 in Dallas, the Dirty Love sounds downright scandalous. Everything’s big in Texas and so is this drink. Served chilled and up, this Tanqueray Rangpur Gin, The King's Ginger liqueur, lemon, honey, baby beets and ginger blend will remind you of the chilly reception your ex will receive if he ever crosses your path.
- Pama Kiss Off - Pucker up! This tangy cocktail features Pama Pomegranate Liqueur, Sour Apple Pucker and a splash of cranberry juice. It’s a little bit tart and somewhat sour at the same time. Reminds you of your relationship, doesn’t it? Give your ex the kiss off because he’ll never touch your lips again.
- Skinnygirl Miss Goody Two-Blues - Bethenny Frankel's Skinnygirl Cocktails aren't just good for the waistline, they taste good, too. Muddled blackberries and blueberries added to Skinnygirl Naked Vodka strips this cocktail down to its taste good bones. You may have been too good for him, but you aren’t too good for this drink.
- Love Hangover – You got drunk on love, then it made you sick and now you have a massive headache that you can’t get rid of. Sounds like a love hangover. Try this hair of the dog elixir to get you back on your feet again – Jagermeister, cherry vodka, club soda, lemon juice and a dash of hot sauce.
- Double Crosser - Were you cheated on? Get over your betrayal with a Double Cross Vodka, grapefruit juice and peach Schnapps martini. You can't beat a double crosser, but you can (sort-of) join him while you sip your cares away.
- Strawberry Sweet Revenge Margarita - Revenge is sweet and so is this syrupy pink drink made with pureed strawberries, tequila, Sweet Revenge wild strawberry liqueur and agave. Just be sure to not listen to Carrie Underwood "Before He Cheats" while sipping this concoction. Leave the tire slashing to the gorgeous country pros.
- Bitter - A featured cocktail from popular restaurant The Aviary in Chicago, the Bitter features ingredients most of us have never heard of let alone can probably properly pronounce. Pierre Ferrand Cognac, Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy, Bonal, Amaro Nonino, Lorenzo Inga My Amaro and Dash Peychaud's bitters is mixed and served in a smoky glass. If there was a taste to express love gone wrong, this would be it. Don’t be bitter. You’re moving on to better.
Just like love, sex & dating, please drink responsibly.
Contributed by Kimberly James, MatchMaster ™ & Dating Expert, www.findyourplusone.com