As the President of the United States, Barack Obama takes the oath of office today, marking his second term. He makes a vow to the people of the United States that he does "solemnly swear (or affirm) that (He) will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of (His) ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
This oath is binding and held in the highest regard as to what his responsibilities are to the country. But what if it was possible to take an oath to yourself and promise to fully commit to finding love. What if, rather than passively looking for love, you made it a full-time passionate effort on your part. What if you treated your love search as an affirmation to yourself and stated:
More from YourTango: Looking for Love? There's An App For That!
"I solemly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of My Love Life, and will to the best of my ability, allow, be open to and find my plus one."
As President of My Love Life, you are faced with hard hitting issues. Take a moment to ask yourself the following:
- How can you ensure that the needs of your heart and your life are being met?
- How can you make fair and balance choices for the greater good of a future relationship?
- What are your values?
- What are your dealbreakers?
- Your future partner is your Vice-President of your love life. What type of person do you wish to align yourself with?
- Where do you see yourself in one year? In two years? In four years?
- What relationship issues are important to you? Which issues can you table?
- Where do you stand on relationship equality? Are you the Commander-in-Chief type or are you a team player?
- Are you willing to expand your domestic policies and try new ways to meet people which may be foreign to you such as online dating, speed dating and blind dates?
- Do you have a strong cabinet of friends and family members who will support you why you find love?
Knowing more about what you do want out of a relationship can help you when you begin meeting new people. If you maintain a strong position as to what matters to you, there will be less debates down the road. You will be able to determine quickly which people are possible running mates and which ones should be filibustered.
More from YourTango: Five Ways to Cure Being Chronically Single
By affirming to yourself that you will find the love you are looking for you are swearing to yourself that you will not settle for a relationship that may not be compatable for you. There is always going to be compromise and negotiations in any partnership. But, if you can keep to your key issues and understand your personal platform on love, you will better your chances of attracting the right person to campaign for you.
Contributed by Kimberly James, MatchMaster & Dating Expert, www.findyourplusone.com and Chief Events Officer, www.rsvptolove.com