A new study suggests having kids actually makes you live longer.
Kim and Kanye just announced they are expecting! Not only will this bundle of joy give them the chance to bond over late-night diaper changes, it will also help Kim and Kanye live longer and healthier lives.
A new study finds having children actually makes you live longer! If you are a woman who doesn't have children, you are four times more likely to die prematurely than mothers. While there are certainly many factors that play in to longevity and mental health, here are a few things I have discovered about why having kids is good for me (and maybe Kim and Kanye too!):
1. It's not all about me. Before I had kids, I was — hate to say it — pretty selfish. Not in a bad way, it's just I never really had to put anyone else first. I could do what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted. That changed a little when I got married but with my husband working 80 hours a week as a resident, I could still do pretty much as I pleased.
Then we had our son. What a ridiculously life-changing experience that was. It was a 180 degree turnaround. Now not only could I not do what I wanted, I had to do what someone else (my son) wanted most of the time. I was preoccupied with thinking about his needs. And when I wasn't thinking about him, I was lamenting my inability to take care of my own.
Now that he is in first grade, I am in a different space. My attitude is no longer one of overwhelm but of appreciation. I can see what an amazing person he is and I want so much to continue to contribute to his journey. Having someone else to take care of, to love completely and to be of service to gives my life meaning in a deep and substantial way. The choices I make now always take my kids into consideration.
That's not to say I have given up on doing things for myself. I still do plenty of yoga, learn new skills and see movies. But now when I do things I think about how they will help me help others, including my kids. And being of service to others is one of the best ways to feel good and stay mentally fit.
2. I live better. Life always presents us with opportunities to grow and having children is one of those huge presents. When my kids were babies it was hard to deal with the sleepless nights, endless breastfeeding and constant exhaustion. As my kids grew out of their diapers and into their mischief, I found myself challenged in a new way. How was I going to deal with their growing independence? The choices they made didn't always align with my desires. Keep reading ...
More on celebrity couples from YourTango:
- 10 Hottest Interracial Celebrity Couples
- 5 Of The Worst Celebrity Breakups Of All Time
- 8 Celebrity Couples Who Fell In Love At Work