Tired of the bar scene? Don't give up yet! Try these 5 bartender-approved tips.
OK, singletons, start your engines. I have all the insider information you need for meeting a man at a bar.
It all started when I decided that being single and in my mid-thirties meant I needed a new approach. I realized that the solution was as simple as hitting the town by myself, and my blog, BartenderManStraightUp, was born.
In a nutshell, I sidle up to the best bars in NYC, L.A., Miami and beyond, befriending bartenders to get their tried-and-true pick-up tips. And here are the ones I keep hearing over and over again:
1. Location is everything. When taking a seat at a bar, location is important, especially if you'e looking to meet someone. Whatever you do, don't sit at the end of the bar — that's no-man's land, literally. Mix into the crowd, and if you can find a seat near a group of guys, even better. Chances are they'll start talking to a solo girl.
2. Say hello. Introduce yourself to the bartender and the people around you. Making new friends is a positive not a negative, and being friendly is a great start.
3. Put down the phone. How can you meet anyone if you are busy looking at your phone? The world won't end if you put your phone in you bag, coat, pocket or wherever for an hour. If you don't have distractions, you are open to what’s around you … and that could be a single man.
4. Smile. No one wants to talk to — or date — a sourpuss. If you make eye contact with a gent across the bar, smile, even if he's not your type. You never know, his buddy might be the guy you've been looking for.
5. Pick the right night. TWT (aka Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) are great nights to fly solo. Monday can be good as well, but since it's the first night of the week it's a toss up if people will start the week off going out. TWT are ideal as people usually schedule work dinners, drinks with friends or just need to chill after work and rather than go home they'll hit up a bar.
More dating advice from YourTango:
- 30 Bad Relationship Habits You *Desperately* Need To Lose By Age 30
- 7 Signs He Wants To Kiss You Right. This. Second.
- Ladies, You Need To Watch Out For These Online Dating Red Flags