Dr. Romance writes about healthy communication as a key to a healthy marriage.
Relating with Love
Relationships have their unavoidable stresses and strains. To keep things in balance, put a bit of energy into increasing the sweetness between you. Thoughtfulness, 'thank you=s' and gestures of politeness and affection are the WD-40 of your partnership. Keep things running smoothly by remembering to add a spritz of sweetness frequently. You'll be amazed at how good you feel, and how much more responsive your partner is.
Guidelines for Relating With Love (Six things to remember)
- It's not about who's right or wrong it’s about solving the problem together. If you try to win the argument, you'll lose something more important B loving feelings.
- With listening, caring and the willingness to change, anything in your relationship can be fixed. There=s no need to be afraid B just turn up the love.
- It's a partnership, silly! Stop struggling, and learn to work together. Focus on teamwork and sharing.
- Behavior that enhances relationships with people at work, and with your friends, will probably work if you use it with your spouse. Seek to be more rational and less angry or emotional.
- What goes around comes around, in love as well as life. If you want more of love, try giving more. It will work every time.
- Act like the grownup you are, not a little kid. Think before you speak and focus on solutions, not problems. Give up whining, complaining and suffering, and step up to taking responsibility and loving more.
Adapted from: Money, Sex and Kids: Stop Squabbling About the Three Things That Can Destroy Your Marriage (Adams Media) ISBN# 978-1-59869-325-6 and Commuter Marriage (Adams Media) Both to be published in 2008.© Tina B.Tessina, 2007
This article was originally published at Tina B. Tessina. Reprinted with permission from the author.