Dr. Romance asks: Are you a single mom? Wondering whether you're too old to be back on the market? Well, wonder no more.
Watch the video on YourTango.com Dating Advice Every Single Mom Should Know
In this video, author, therapist and YourTango Expert Dr. Tina Tessina "Dr. Romance" explains why it's never too late to start dating again. The best way to meet someone? "Get out there and do things you love to do," suggests Dr. Tina.
Parental Dating Guidelines
• Make sure you know a lot about any new person before inviting him/her into your home.
• Make friends before considering a romantic relationship.
• Always introduce new adults to your children as friends, nothing more.
• If your children are old enough to have opinions of your new friends, listen to what they have to say.
• Do not pressure your children to like your new friend, or to spend time with him or her.
• Insist that your children behave appropriately and politely to your adult friends.
• Have regular family discussions with your children.
• If you want to get serious with a date, find out his or her feelings about children, especially your children, first.
• Gradually introduce a new date to your children by doing family oriented activities together. Give your children and your date a chance to develop their own relationships.
• Don’t sacrifice your children's alone time with you to your dating. Don’t miss sport or school events in order to date.
• Don’t share inappropriately with your children. Do not use them as “confidantes” for your relationship confusion or problems. Don't allow them to find out about your sexual relationship.
More in "Dating Guidelines for Single Parents"
From The Unofficial Guide to Dating Again
This article was originally published at
. Reprinted with permission from the author.