Dr. Sue provides parents with 5 essential tips to boost your self-esteem.
As parents, we all want to help our children develop positive self esteem. In doing so, we need to create a healthy foundation for them to grow within and succeed.
Sometimes, it can be difficult to instill self-esteem within our children, if we do not possess a positive self image ourselves. Remember parents, children model what they observe. If we are not healthy role models for our children then our children may internalize negative self worth.
Make it a “goal” to work on increasing your self esteem. Many times we all need a tune up in this department. In doing so, you will feel better about yourself and your children will reap the benefits.
While surfing the web this weekend, I came across a great website called “Spirit Wire,” (http://www.spiritwire.com/selfesteemtips.html) which discusses building self esteem and self love. Here are 5 tips offered for building self-esteem. If you have time, please read the whole article as most of the tips are helpful.
Five tips for self-esteem and self love:
1. Set an intention. Before you get out of bed, decide what kind of day you want to have. Make a deliberate, conscious decision about how you want to create your day. Write it down. Play a little with how it might feel. When you get up, act accordingly. Remind yourself throughout the day of your intention. Look for ways your intention is playing out in your world. Suggested intention: Today is the best day ever!
2. Be true to yourself. Live your life doing what feels right to you, not what someone else thinks you should do. It’s ok to listen to advice, but in the end, make the decision that feels best for you. Being a people pleaser is a very frustrating way to live. Get in the habit of pleasing yourself. You are responsible for your own happiness. Your feelings are important.
3. Upgrade your physical diet. Processed foods contain very little nutritional value when compared to raw, organic fruits and vegetables. Eat fresh produce rather than processed foods whenever possible. Drink plenty of water, fresh juices and smoothies instead of caffeinated beverages or energy drinks. Add nutrient dense superfoods to your diet. When you take care of your body by supplying it with good nutrients, you will naturally feel better and have more energy.
4. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are not supposed to be like anyone else. You are you. You are the only one who can be you. Your perspectives, gifts and value are exclusively yours. Revel in it! If you want something to measure yourself by, compare how you were yesterday to how you are today, and be kind.
5. Be grateful. You have much to be grateful for. Before you go to bed each night, write down ten things you are grateful for that day and why. This is an important step. Gratitude alone can turn things around for you. What are you grateful for right now? http://www.spiritwire.com/selfesteemtips.html
Have a positive day and remember, what you give to your children will be returned to you in abundance.