... because holidays are draining enough without a bun in the oven.
Pregnancy can zap energy. After all, growing a human takes a lot of work, even if you're just sitting on the couch. Simply walking from the bathroom to the kitchen can completely take the wind out of you. Here are some practical tips to help you stay at the top of your game during the holidays:
1. Slice your to-do list in half. The cookies don't have to be made from scratch and the napkins don't need folding in the shape of reindeer.
2. Catch your breath between errands ... literally. In-between jumping from store to store, close your eyes and rest in the car for a couple of minutes.
3. Eat small meals. Throughout the day, nibble protein to keep your blood sugar even. This will also keep you from gorging on a big holiday dinner, causing heartburn.
4. Set activity boundaries. Only accept those invitations that are most important to you, and give yourself permission to turn the rest down.
5. Leave parties early. Don't worry about disappointing anyone; taking care of yourself is more important. Getting lots of sleep will help you stay healthy emotionally and physically.
6. Put your feet up. Even if the gathering is at your home, let others wait on you instead of you serving them.
7. Bring food and drink. When attending a party, bring crackers (if you're dealing with queasiness) and drinks that you can have, like sparkling apple juice. Never count on the host having anything other than alcohol.
8. Celebrate your growing body. Show off your new look by dressing up in comfy yet beautiful clothes. Remember that maternity garb can be glittery and sexy.
Pregnancy hormones on top of the usual stress of holidays can be challenging. Make sure you get the support you need, both personal and professional. Here's to enjoying!
More love advice from YourTango:
- 20 Crazy-Romantic, Creative Ways To Say 'I Love You'
- 10 Unmistakable Ways To Tell If A Man Is In Love With You
- Why Can't I Find A Relationship?