A few months ago, I was reading a blog post on this person’s stop doing list and it really made me think. The following is a list of 15 things I think are important to put on our stop doing list for 2012 so we can be happier, healthier, and full of life!
1. Stop spending time with the wrong people. – Life is too short to spend time with friends or family members that render you miserable. If someone wants you in their life, they’ll make room for you. You are worthy of great friends who support you on your best days and on your worst days. Don’t let negative people infiltrate your life, you deserve the best!
2. Stop running from your problems. – Deal with issues as they come! Don’t wait. It won’t be easy, but it will save you from a lot of emotional turmoil. Keep in mind, however, that no one is able to instantly solve problems. In fact, we’re made to get upset, sad, hurt, stumble and fall. Facing problems allows us to learn, adapt, and grow as a person.
3. Stop putting your own needs on the back burner. – How many of you devote yourself to your spouse, your children, and your friends but forget to schedule time for yourself? It’s important to help other, but even more important to help yourself. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now.
4. Stop berating yourself for old mistakes. – Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes, have struggles, and regret past decisions. But we are not our mistakes! Don’t dwell on the past focus on the present and look forward to the future. Every single thing that has ever happened in your life is preparing you for a moment that is yet to come.
5. Stop thinking you’re not ready. – That other job opportunity you’ve been eying, that vacation you’ve been dying to take – you’re ready for it! Stop doubting yourself and do it! Who knows what will happen tomorrow, live for today! Don’t let insecurities stop you from reaching your goals.
6. Stop trying to compete against everyone else. –Success is a battle between YOU and YOURSELF only. Stop worrying about what your coworker or sister thinks of you! Every goal you undertake, every job you do should be for yourself- not to prove a point to someone else.
7. Stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself. – Life’s curve balls are thrown for a reason – to shift your path in a direction that is meant for you. Sure, it’s hard to see the benefits at first, but be strong! Things will get better. Don’t dwell on the negative aspects of your life, focus on the positive and your circumstances will drastically improve- I promise.
8. Stop holding grudges. – Have you ever heard of holding a grudge as an effective means for conflict resolution? I think not. Let go and forgive. Forgiveness is not just for other people, it’s for you too.
9. Stop wasting time explaining yourself to others. – When all is said and done, who really cares what you do? Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it anyway. Do what you think is right!