Sex toys are comprised of a mystery-mix of chemicals and ingredients often not disclosed by the manufacturers. Because they are classified as novelty items, they are not regulated by FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) and they are not held to the same stringent health, and safety checks that medical devices are.
Considering that most of the chemical compounds found in low-grade sex toys are the same one that are banned in other products like pet and animal toys due to potential health risks. So it seems to be ridiculous especially when these products are placed in highly sensitive parts and vulnerable parts of the body.
- True medical grade silicone toys are phthalates and PVC-free, durable, non-porous, and easy to clean. So you just need to use mild soap and warm water, allow to dry completely before storing.
- Silicone toys can be submerged in boiling water to be truly thoroughly sterilized and can be reused for years.
- Silicone, unlike jelly, is non-toxic, non-porous, hypoallergenic and hygienic.
- Silicone toys are not compatible with silicone based lubricants or silicone, other kinds of silicone. They dissolve into each other and can really degrade the silicone over time.
- If you are using a silicone sex toy, make sure you are using a natural or water-based lubricant, organically sourced and vegan, as well as paraben, petroleum and glycerin-free.
Dr. Carol Queen of Good Vibrations says this, “Sex is a part of our lives, so any issue that concerns us out of the bedroom has implications inside it. If we recycle, buy local produce, watch our carbon use, and think ecologically in other ways, it makes sense to do the same when it comes to our sexual choices. Our wellbeing and that of the earth are connected, so consider where you can go ecorotic.”
Have fun out there, or rather in there! Wink!
My Eco Sex campaign's message is about sustainable living by going green between the sheets and outside of the bedroom. The month brings attention to our relationship with our bodies. Besides addressing what you can do to feel good about yourself, it also highlights positive self-care habits, and includes being savvy about the purchase of personal care items including sex toys and lubricants. Subscribe to my Eco Sex campaign here. Follow my Eco Sex Facebook page here!