If you feel any of these, it is really because you are abandoning yourself and making your partner responsible for you. It is you doing this that is allowing the silent treatment to work to control you. If you were taking loving care of yourself and taking 100% responsibility for your own feelings, here is what would be going on inside:
1. You would be telling yourself: "My partner is choosing to punish me rather than take responsibility for his or her feelings. Whatever I may or may not have done that he or she doesn't like, I am not responsible for how he or she is dealing with it, and I have no control over him or her.
More from YourTango: The Circle of Love: The Highest Experience in Life
2. You would be bringing love inside, letting yourself know that you are a good person and deserving of love.
3. You would get out of range of your partner's energy — taking a walk, reading a book, calling a friend, or doing something else to make yourself happy.
4. You would keep your own heart open, not going into anger or judgment toward your partner, so that when your partner decides to open again, there is no residue for you. You would not punish your partner for trying to punish you. You would just make sure that their punishment doesn't work for them.
5. You would embrace your loneliness and heartache with deep compassion for yourself, sitting with these feelings for a few minutes, and then releasing them to Spirit.
Eventually, when you are truly taking loving care of yourself, others will stop using the silent treatment, since it will no longer work for them.
To begin learning how to love and connect with yourself so that you can connect with your partner and others, take advantage of our free Inner Bonding eCourse, receive Free Help, and take our 12-Week eCourse, “The Intimate Relationship Toolbox” – the first two weeks are free!
More from YourTango: Holding Your Heart Through Sadness and Heartbreak
Connect with Margaret on Facebook.