After a lengthy review of the current research on the benefits of marriage, we have selected what we think are the top 12 reasons marriage is the greatest contributor to social order in this country:
1. You will live longer. The preponderance of evidence from research shows a relationship between longer life and being married.
2. You will be healthier. The links between marriage and good physical health are overwhelming.
3. You will be happier. Married people report being happier than unmarried people.
4. You will experience higher levels of psychological health. Married people have lower rates of depression and schizophrenia than unmarried people.
5. You will have a built-in support system. Research indicates that individuals in a marriage feel supported, saying that they have someone to share their feelings and thoughts with.
6. You will be less likely to abuse drugs or alcohol. Numerous studies indicate that married individuals are less likely than unmarried persons to engage in risky behaviors including the use of drugs or alcohol because of their feelings of responsibility.
7. Your earnings will be greater. Numerous studies found that married individuals have significantly greater earnings than unmarried individuals even when all of the various possible factors are taken into consideration.
8. You will save more money. In the United States married individuals in their 50s and 60s have a net worth per person roughly twice that of other unmarried individuals.
10. Your children will be healthier, do better academically, and have fewer emotional problems. Children living in families with married parents are more likely to have proper health care, better nutrition, less serious illnesses, better grades, better tests scores and less stress to deal with at home.
11. More couples in the 18-34 age range will be headed to the altar over the next couple years! Marriages have increased some 4% since 2009 and will continue to increase through at least 2015 and probably beyond. After a downturn in marriage due to the USA economic downturn, marriage is now on the rebound, and that is good news. The biggest increases are among women ages 25-34, college-educated, and the more affluent. Marriages are declining or growing stagnant for those with a high school education or less and the poor and less affluent. The good news is this — marriage thrives among those who get married at the "right time." In fact, it is one of 15 predictors of successful marriage.
12. Marriage is now a status symbol! It appears from the available research that marriage is now regarded as an indicator of a successful personal life. Marriage is now considered a "privileged position" in society. According to Hollingsworth v. Perry, marriage "confers a special validation of the relationship between two individuals and conveys a message to society that domestic partnerships or civil unions cannot match."
When you consider what social science research tells us about the benefits of being married and what our research reveals about the importance of the seven characteristics of successful marriages, you have many powerful reasons to work hard Building a Love that Lasts with your spouse.
As love and marriage experts, it is our profound belief that the value of marriage to the world will not change over the next 50 years. The numbers tell us that the marriage rate per 1000 Americans will stay about the same or increase as the USA and world economy gets better, as it always has under similar circumstances for time immemorial. Marriage is here to stay.
Creating a successful marriage is not always the easiest thing to do. Visiting our blog post suggests you are highly interested in making your relationship work! And truthfully, we have learned over 30 years of marriage research that there are proven effective ways to ensure a happy and healthy marriage. In fact, as love and marriage experts we took hundreds of tips from the thousands of happy couples we interviewed throughout the world and put them into our award-winning and bestselling book, Building a Love that Lasts. —By Drs. Charles and Elizabeth Schmitz, America's #1 Love and Marriage Experts
**Today, you can see how you stack up to the best marriages around the world. Take the Marriage Quiz to assess your chances of achieving a successful marriage of your own!