So what are the secrets of building a love that lasts? Successful marriages and relationships all require simple acts, gestures and conversations. If you have that down you are on the right track to forming the foundation that builds a long lasting relationship. The seven, key ingredients that define a successful marriage are easy to understand, yet difficult for many couples to practice in their relationship:
- It's not you and me; it's we. In a successful marriage two people have to become one without losing their individual identities.
- Be open and honest. In a successful marriage there are no sacred cows and no secrets. Couples should talk about anything and everything.
- Respect each other. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. To have a successful love and marriage you need mutual love and respect.
- Take care of yourself and encourage your partner. Successfully married couples understand that only taking care of their health is not sufficient. They must also encourage the health of their spouse. To live until "death do us part" requires a mutual concern about good health.
- Have a joint bank account. It is not your money or my money. In successful marriages, it is our money.
- Remember actions speak louder than words. Touching each other multiple times a day is the norm. In a successful marriage, touching your partner should be confirmation of your love for them and surprisingly doesn't always have to lead to sex.
- Spice things up. Successful marriages are exciting, never boring and full of unpredictable things. Don't always be so predictable. Variety is the spice of life.
These celebrity marriages know how to build a love that lasts. A successful marriage is not mysterious or difficult to understand. Many celebrities have learned these lessons well.
Your marriage can last for a lifetime if you know how to make each of these seven key ingredients work for your marriage. In fact, we took hundreds of tips and marriage advice from thousands of happy couples we interviewed and put them into our best-selling book, Building a Love that Lasts. For five years, this book has been the standard handbook for marriage and relationships.
America's #1 Love and Marriage Experts
Today, you can see how you stack up to the best marriages around the world. Take the Marriage Quiz to assess your chances of achieving a successful marriage of your own.