Recent posts on the Internet seem to indicate that couples counseling is on the rise with the falling economy. Making your relationship a top priority and working to improve it makes sense to me for a number of reasons.
1. It’s practical! Improving your relationship is generally cheaper than divorce.
2. Your relationship is a source of emotional support, which is even more vital when times are tough.
3. Your romantic partnership provides a place of safety and security in troubled times.
4. It is a place to bounce ideas to improve your life and face challenges.
5. Your relationship is a place of consistency when the rest of the world feels unstable.
6. It is a place where you can drop the emotional “armor” you carry through the day and just be yourself.
7. You have a partner who will be there for you, and you for them, through the struggles.
8. You have someone you can smile with and laugh with and take a respite from the “real world” with.
There are many ways to recession-proof your relationship and I encourage you to seek them out. They don’t necessarily have to place a strain on your resources. In addition to couples counseling, many therapists (myself included) conduct tele-seminars for couples that provide great information at a low cost. And you don’t even need to leave your home!
And there is no shortage of reading material as well. Check out the couples area of the “self-help” section in any bookstore and purchase a book that calls to you.
And finally, for an immediate and free way to improve your relationship, consider my Special Report: “20 Rituals For Romance!” at the link below:
If I can help you in any other way, please feel free to contact me.
Thanks so much,
Dr. Adam Sheck