1. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Imagine sitting across from someone you are interested in. It can be someone you’ve never met or someone you already know and like.
2. Now imagine what the scene would be like inside your mind. What would you do? What would you say? How would you sit? What are you wearing? Where are you looking? Are you wanting to talk? Are you wanting to fill the space with your thoughts and your words, so you can feel like you are in control of something?
3. Now imagine your words visually. Imagine everything you want to say in actual letters and words coming out of your mouth. Kind of like on Sesame Street or another children’s show.There can be big letters, small letters, and jumbled nonsense letters. These are just words, and you can do something with them. You will have to because they are filling up the entire room and there is barely space to breathe.
4. Slow yourself down. Breath slowly and deeply.
5. Imagine a cookie jar in your mind’s eye. It can be big or small. Any color or shape that you choose. Whatever cookie jar you imagine is perfect for you.
6. Now visualize all the words being put away. The words that came from your mouth that are filling the room, are now going into the cookie jar. It can be fast or slow, whatever works for you is perfect.
7. Now put the lid on the cookie jar. Putting the lid on, doesn’t mean you can never say these words. The words are in the cookie jar and you can take the lid off of the jar anytime you choose. You don’t have to eat all the cookies at once or say everything at once. You can dish them out slowly when you want to give someone a treat.
If you talk too much and don’t listen enough, it’s like eating a whole jar of cookies.
More from YourTango: 6 Steps To Become An Epic Dating Genius
You feel too filled up and icky from so many sugar. Words are exactly the same way. You don’t have to say everything at once. Allow a little mystery. Keep some space in between each cookie you share with someone. And build up the anticipation of having another cookie another day.
If you don’t talk just enough, it leaves the person wanting more of your yummy cookies.
Less is more when it comes to talking too much and cookies. Get busy dating!
More from YourTango: Survey Says Get Lucky For Only $218 On Valentines Day