No one can have everything they want in life, but there is no reason why we cannot create our own sense of happiness and abundance. Here are my top 5 life-changing issues and attitudes that will bring happiness to your world:
- Prioritize and focus on the 3 most important areas of your life. Most of us live in a state of constant juggling. Our attention is divided in so many areas that we never seem to feel like we’ve done enough; we don’t allow ourselves to be happy with a result so we can then focus on something else. Once you’ve picked your 3 most important area, pick your top priority and give it the time and attention it deserves. Follow it through to completion and feel the sense of accomplishment and pride it brings.
- Live according to your own beliefs and values. Trying to live by someone else’s standards is a recipe for unhappiness. You will never feel personally satisfied until you live your life in alignment with who YOU are and what YOU value.
- Consciously change your attitude. Start focusing on the positive things you already have in your life. Because it’s so easy to focus on what we don’t have or don’t like, we have to constantly remind ourselves to count our blessings. Taking for granted the people and things that we already have is something we all have to look out for. If we’re so focused on “something else”, we may lose what we already have. Looking at the attitudes of those we surround ourselves with can also help to change our own attitude. Do they look at the world with a “woe is me” attitude? Do they verbally bring people down to make themselves feel better? Stop and think about how that kind of energy affects you. It may be time to separate yourself from these people and build relationships with people who are positive and supportive
- If you have personal problems, deal with them directly. If you have a problem with a relationship or a wound from your past that is keeping you stuck in a state of emotional turmoil, get the help you need to move past it. Remember that weak people don’t seek help; the strong ones do. Don’t let years go by re-living a trauma or coping with a bad situation. The best way to move ahead is to face what is keeping you stuck and put it behind you. For some, therapy will be needed while for others, a life coach is just what you need.
- Determine one change that you can make that will make the biggest positive difference in your life. Is it ending a toxic relationship? Deciding to go back to school? Maybe it’s coming to terms with your sexual orientation? Pick that one thing and start to envision what your life would look like AFTER you make the change. Visualization is a powerful tool for change and can lead you down the path to help create the life you want.
Happiness is a state of mind that’s achievable when you appreciate the things you already have and which are aligned with your own dreams, passions and beliefs.
More from YourTango: The Friendship Foundation & Why It's So Important
* If you need help sorting out your own values and beliefs versus the ones you have inherited, contact me for a free 30 minute consultation.