• Have a strategy ready for food pushers-“I’ve been looking forward to your delicious cookies and I’m saving room for a taste” or “I’m stuffed now but can I wrap it up and take it with me for later?” They’ll feel that their treat is so special you want to find a way to eat it while you can choose to do whatever you like with it once you leave.
• Skip seconds-Sometimes you just need a non-negotiable rule like no seconds unless it’s water or vegetables. Period.
More from YourTango: Which Dieter Are You?
• Drink lots of water-Besides having so many other health benefits, water helps to fill you and slows down your eating.
• Beware of stress eating-When you’re eating, determine what’s driving your desire to eat. Is it because of something you just saw, heard or felt? Or, is it because your body is physically hungry? Learn to tell the difference and try to respond to the physical need only.
• Suggest an after meal walk-Instead of all that sitting around after a big meal, suggest an activity to get everyone up and moving.
• Slow down/pace yourself-Whether you put down your fork between bites, chew thoroughly, take a drink between bites or any other strategy, talking longer to eat helps you feel more satisfied with less.
• Use smaller plates-We want to see our plates full so just by choosing a smaller plate, you’ll get the same effect with much less food.
• Bring a healthy dish-By bringing a healthy dish, you can at least be assured that you’ll have something to eat if everything else being served is loaded with fat, sugar and calories.
• Exercise-While you’re even busier than usual with holiday shopping, parties, etc. one of the first things to go in order to find more time may be your fitness program. Make the decision that exercise is a priority. It may be the only “me” time you have during this busy holiday time so hold firm.
More from YourTango: Perspective: One of the Secrets of Radiant Health?
Debi Silber, MS, RD, WHC The Mojo Coach® founder of www.TheMojoCoach.com is a weight loss, fitness, wellness, lifestyle, self-improvement expert, speaker, author, spokesperson and THE secret behind some of the healthiest, most dynamic, successful and charismatic people today. Sign up now to receive 3 free deep dive videos including “The 8 Habits of the Healthy, Happy and Successful.” All free at www.TheMojoCoach.com.