It's the Christmas season, and at this time of year it's so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of events, parties, presents, cards, and family that sometimes we forget that December is a GREAT month to rekindle love with your spouse. When we're under stress it can be really a blessing to have a spouse that is like a safe haven, and nothing can make home seem warm and wonderful like slowing down and simplifying the holidays. So take the time this month do so some of these simple things with your spouse (just the two of you!) and rekindle the smoldering ember of love between you.
1) Put up Christmas lights together.
2) Drink some hot cocoa or eggnog together.
3) Watch silly Holiday movies together (like "The Santa Clause" or "Polar Express")--it will bring out the childhood wonder.
4) Read a Christmas book or story together--even "T'was the Night Before Christmas" or Luke 2 can be very special!
5) Start or keep a Christmas scrapbook with the things you do, photos, etc.
6) Bake some holiday treats together that you keep and eat! My dear hubby and I make pumpkin pie and eat it with plenty of whipped cream.
7) Make a modern version of "The 12 Days of Christmas" and give your spouse little gifts for 12 days.
8) Put together a Gingerbread House. You can buy a kit, use graham crackers, or go crazy and bake the gingerbread!
9) Pick one charitable thing and do it together: volunteer at the local nursing home or homeless shelter, buy an extra toy for a less fortunate child, or send cards to soldiers who are far from home. You'll feel GREAT!
10) Make one ornament...don't care how! :D
11) Remember strings of popcorn on the tree? Yeah, do that again..or construction paper chain. You'll feel young.
12) Have one night where you light up your whole bedroom with CANDLES! Those beautiful Christmas ones are the best!
13) Have a "bubble bath night"--each one of you prepare a bubble bath for the other!
14) Do something adventurous that you've never done (or haven't done for a long time) like sledding or ice skating.
15) Listen to some classic Christmas carols--sing along if you want!
16) Go hear Handel's Messiah or go to the Nutcracker.
17) Remember mistletoe? Use it.
18) Go for a drive and see the Christmas lights on the houses.
19) Plan a naughty holiday celebration. ;)
20) If your stuck for ideas there are LOTS of ideas here on YourTango or use resources like LovingYou or RomanceStuck because they have literally thousands of romantic ideas and suggestions. You can borrow liberally!
More from YourTango: "I Can't Believe He Doesn't Want Fruit Cake at Aunt Martha's!"
It only takes a little time every day that you give to your spouse during this Christmas season to rekindle the love.