Are you feeling the Polar Vortex deep freeze? That uncomfortable dense, frigid air traveling from the North Pole through much of America has caused record-breaking temperatures (it was 9 degrees in Atlanta, George the other day!) and countless Facebook updates about the unruly weather.
Hopefully, this will soon pass but it got me thinking—could the state of your dating life also be in the midst of a Polar Vortex? Do you feel a chill in your dating routine and more importantly, have you bundled up and away from love? There are many reasons for a chill in your dating journey. Maybe you:
- Stopped going out to meet men
- Haven't been smiling at the men you see
- Forgot about your ability to flirt
- Gave up on singles events and Meetup.com groups
- Got super busy with the holidays
- Feel overwhelmed by work
- Have to put away holiday decorations
- Haven't recovered yet from a love gone wrong
- Still feel the burn of rejection
- Have already started worrying about your taxes
- Dread boring conversation with one more man
- Are tired of disappointment from online dating
This list could go on for days right? There are countless reasons why your efforts to find love got derailed and frozen over. According to an AARP study, only 16 percent of single women between 40 and 70 do anything to change their single status. So you are in very good company!
If your love life is just not happening, don't despair. It's a whole new year out there and you now have a clean slate to build from. That's why I've come up with some super simple tips to help you heat things up in the romance department. Let's take the chill out of the dating air for you and warm up your options. Read on to learn the five tips to reverse the polar vortex and defrost your life life!
1. Imagine Love Is Possible For You
Yes! This is an essential first step if your love life has been in the deep freeze. Thaw things out by spending time believing that you can find love. Regardless of the current evidence of love in your life, move ahead to imagine that you really can find love and this is the year you'll do it.
2. Take A Positive Stance
This is similar to the first step, but I want you to catch yourself when you start complaining about men or your lack of love life. The words you say influence your outlook. So, no more complaining if you can help it. Put a stop to this negativity and turn things around. The more positive you are about yourself, your life and love, the more attractive you are. This builds a positive vibration and your confidence as well. Confidence is very sexy.
3. Start Noticing Men
You might be in the position where you don't even notice men around you any more. I had a client who insisted that she lived in a totally married area. But after I encouraged her to do this exercise, she was shocked at how many men she started seeing. She couldn't believe she had been so blind to them all before!
4. Start Smiling At Men
What a wild request, huh? Smile at men? Unheard of! If you read my blog, you know I talk about this all the time. Why? Because women simply don't do this simple little thing.
Please trust me. This silly little tip will change your life. First of all, you'll start looking beyond your nose and connect with people around you. You'll make a lot of men's days wonderful and that will help you feel good, too. And most importantly, by starting this kind of interaction, you'll make yourself approachable and available to men! You'll be surprised how many more guys will take a chance at trying to talk to you. That's what you want and that's how you meet men!
5. Got Out To Meet Men
The number one way to meet the love of your life is to meet lots of new men. You have to go out to do this. If you can commit to three nights a month, you up your chances to find love significantly. Are you serious about turning up the heat in the romance department? If you said yes, then go out! Here are a few places you can visit to find single men.
- Try MeetUp.com which has tons of singles groups and events. It's a free site so just enter your zip code and search for singles events
- Try going out to hear live acoustic or jazz music. Men love guitars
- Go to an auto show, antique car exhibit, boat show. Men love big toys
- Visit a Barnes & Noble on a Friday night or Sunday afternoon. Find men in the magazine section or near the history books
- Go watch Monday Night Football at a sports bar
- Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity or something else that attracts men
- Get online and post a profile on a dating website
That's just a handful of ideas on how and where to meet men. There are so many more once you get started. Ask the women you meet where they go. Ask the single men you know where they hang out.
You deserve to have the love of a good man, a hot romance, and a life partner if you want one. Follow these simple steps and you'll be meeting men before you know it. Every man you meet brings you one man closer to the right guy for you.
Are you a single woman, 40+ who is struggling to find love? As a dating coach for women over 40, I provide proven dating tips and strategies that have helped thousands. Get more tips in my FREE book 5 Big Turnoffs That Drive Men Away. You can find love with the right man and avoid the many potential pitfalls along the way.
More dating coach advice on YourTango:
- How I Became An Online Dating Coach
- 8 Modern Dating Rules Every Single Should Know
- Dating After Divorce? 3 Pitfalls To Avoid